Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Diagonal Rib Hat Part Deux

My green diagonal rib hat from Purl Bee got so much attention that I was comissioned by some coworkers to make more! Lili wanted it in a pretty deep red, Meg wants one in pink, and Frank is still deciding. Mike, who I had in mind for the pretty pale olive hat, wants one in black. Just like a man. :-) I polled everyone that I could get to listen, and the majority ruled that the green was unisex, but the diagonal rib was a little too fay for a straight man. It was kind of hilarious then, that mike loved the pattern, but thought the green was too femmy. So funny. Please pardon the mug shot like picture. I had just woken up! So I wan't injured one bit that Mike took a pass on it. I had been wearing it for about a week and I didn't want to give it up. It is now offically MINE ALL MINE! I was wearing at work the other day when my friend Lili saw it, and she wanted one done in red. Lucky for me it knits up remarkably fast. she saw it Monday and I bought the yarn tuesday, and I dropped it off for her at work today. Just like that. Shazam. The red turned out really, really nice, too. I love how it really fits your head. Its the perfect skull cap. It sits low on your forehead and covers your ears so it keeps you toasty warm. I knit both of them in Blue Sky Alpaca Hand Dyed Worsted on US #9 needles. I fudged the pattern a little cause it was written for a gorgeous cashmere that was a little different gauge, and way out of my budget. :-) That and once I knit a few rounds I didn't really need instructions, its easy to see where the changes are, and the decreases are very logical. But it came out just as beautiful. So, thank you Purl Bee for a great pattern. I hope Lili loves her hat as much as I do.

No comments: