Sunday, January 11, 2009

SCORE!


Considering how much I am drawn to vintage styles and I love the idea of my grandmothers knitting, I was looking for some vintage knitting inspiration, and made this great score on Etsy. Its a 1945 Vogue knitting book and it looks amazing. I am foaming at the mouth a little to get it. When I do I'll take more pictures and post them. I'm especially liking the look of that red & white stripey sweater. Cute! I started knitting a little sweater from some ocher tweedy wool that Devon gave me. I am completely making it up as I go along. I'm sort of semi using Elizabeth Zimmermann's yoke style seamless sweater procedure... but I don't own the book, I perused it once at Knit NY and I am flying by the seat of my pants a little. I know, I know... but that makes it exciting.
I have the sleeves done (3/4 slightly belled) and have started on the K2,P2 ribbing of the bottom. I'll post some pictures as I have them, and let you know how it goes. Exciting! I just came back to work from taking off 6 days and during that time I taught my friend Priscilla how to knit. I told her that it was very important for a new knitter to embrace the zen attitude that things don't have to look exact and perfect when you are first starting out and learning. Every mistake brings you more skill and knowledge and the more you rip it apart and start over, the better you will be not to mention the happier with the final product you will be. I have to remember my own advice as I make my sweater. Speaking of Etsy... other great find I made are these 1960's or 70's booklets on sewing techniques. I know the basics on how to sew, but it never hurts to have more info! Besides I'm curious about the booklet entitled Knits. Is it knitting? Or how to sew knits? We shall see! And I think I need to start wearing more Jumpsuits anyway.




No comments: